A chronicle of our lives. One day, maybe a book...

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Losing my Blogging V-Card

Ok, so I have officially entered the world of blogging. It is not - in any way, shape, or form - because I have a desperate need to share my life with the world. It is rather that I want to create a living diary of sorts for the girls upon which to look back. It seems as though the past three years with Mikayla have flown by so quickly. So much has been forgotten, and I have been too caught up in work to sit down and write everything I wish to remember. I try to think back, and I wish so badly that I had written things down. Before computers, mothers would tirelessly scribe out every detail of their baby's life in the "Baby Book." I own one such baby book, and it sits empty and lonely on the top shelf of Mikayla's closet. I refuse to let this happen any longer. I want a recorded history of my girls, for they are my most precious gift, and I want to be able to look back and smile at the things they have said or done.

I wrote several things on my now defunct myspace page, and I am going to copy and paste them into here with a date so that I can have all writings about the girls in one place. I am also going to paste and copy a couple facebook notes that I have written about the girls. The other posts that will be on here before the date of July 6, 2010 are from my shutterfly site. I have always written a few words about the girls or about the pictures in the post, but now all the sites can be consolidated. I now have yet another website that I must attempt to keep up-to-date. I know have facebook, shutterfly, now this page. I will do my best!

The newest news is that I recently accepted a new teaching position at Northwest High School in Justin. It is an English-teaching only job, so I have hung up my coach's whistle (at least temporarily). It is bittersweet to be leaving such a great school, but I am excited to begin a new season of life where I will get to spend so much more time with my family. Thinking about all the things I will now get to do - Thanksgiving break, Christmas break - no before or after school practices, no Saturdays spent in the gym - makes me smile. I never ever thought I would feel this way, but I have to put my kids first, and I don't want to miss out on important parts of their lives. We also are moving out that way. We don't know where yet, but it will be in the Justin/Haslet/Roanoke area. I don't want to commute more than 15 minutes to school. We also have to find a new daycare for Mikayla, and she is not happy. Both times I have mentioned it to her, she has cried. Heidi, she says, is her best friend, and she doesn't want to leave Heidi!

For July 4th, we went to a friend's sister's house to swim. Mikayla showed off her newly acquired swim skills, for she has been in swim lessons for the better part of the summer so far. Macey sat in her baby float, and she loved the water. Adam dunked her completely under the water, and she didn't make a peep. She made a funny face because the water got in her eyes, but she wasn't upset in the least. After the swim, we went to a very all-American eatery for dinner: Chinese Buffet! We were tired and hungry, and it sounded good as we drove past! After dinner, we met Jason & Marte and their two little boys Ethan and Owen (who is only two weeks old) in Granbury for the fireworks show. I had forgotten just how far Granbury is from us! Mikayla was scared of the fireworks, as she was last year when we were in Kansas City at Jane's brother's house. We had our own private fireworks show last year, courtesy of Jess and Cindy. Jess, Robert, Ross and Alonso (Ross' friend) set them off for us in the field adjacent to Jess and Cindy's house. Mikayla said at the time, "No yike it, figh-ah-yerks" as she buried her face in my chest, hands covering her ears. It was translated as "No like it, fireworks." This year, she told me, "No like the boom, Mommy." She likes the pretty colors, just not the loud noises.

She doesn't like many loud noises. When she enters a boisterous gymnasium, she usually covers her ears. Like when she had her first basketball practice June 12th. I think I was actually more excited than she was for playing basketball. Adam and I signed her up knowing she is entirely too young for organized sports of any sort. I wanted to do it more because I thought it was adorable, and I could get some great photo ops that would be priceless in years to come. Especially if she ends up play at "Okah-tima." She decided during the women's NCAA basketball finals this year that when "Me get big, me play basketball at Okah-tima." She can now pronounce Oklahoma, and she relishes telling everyone that she is going to play there one day. Her team is the Hornets, and their jerseys are green and white reversibles. Quite nice for a 3-and-4 year old league. Screenprinted on each side is the Arlington "A" that the city uses as their logo. She now recognizes that "A" logo everywhere we go now. The "A" is on street signs, billboards, water towers, etc. When she "I spy something with my little eye," she said "My basketball!!" She associated the "A" with her basketball team, not the city in which we live, and I think it's hilarious!

Mikayla has also been learning logos and signs for various restaurants and gas stations. She will recognize them and call them out. The list she knows at this age is actually quite impressive. She is learning more every time we get in the car. I have decided to make it into a "learn how to read" experiment. I have made a pdf document to various logos, and i am going to show it to her, along with the letters that form the words. I am in hopes it can teach letter recognition and phonics.

I guess this is more than enough for my first real blog. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope that Mikayla and Macey will enjoy it (or be embarrassed by it) in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment