A chronicle of our lives. One day, maybe a book...

Friday, August 22, 2014

Robin Williams

My dearest girls, you are not old enough to know who Robin Williams is, or even understand right now what suicide is. Robin Williams was an actor and comedian who recently killed himself. He was in many movies that I watched as a child and into adulthood. The news and social media have covered his death extensively, and countless articles about his death and his life have been written in the past few days. He had battled depression his entire life, and few who were close to him were surprised that he took his own life.

Depression is defined as a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Also called major depression, major depressive disorder or clinical depression, it affects how you feel, think and behave and can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and depression may make you feel as if life isn't worth living.

Yearly, 40,000 Americans kill themselves. Most have been diagnosed as depressed, and doctors and experts say that it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Some blame it on biological differences, hormone imbalance or inherited traits. Pharmaceutical companies make billions of dollars every year on anti-depressant drugs. Many people who are depressed take these drugs, or they turn to alcohol or illicit drugs to help them manage the symptoms of sadness, loss, and disinterest. When depression takes over someone's mind, it can lead not only to drug abuse, but more drastic measures such as suicide.

Suicide is never the answer. Jesus is. I know that seems so simple, or that I am over-simplifying life. I know that there are times where life is hard, and everything seems to be going wrong. It seems like everyone is against you, and that you can't do anything right. There will always be difficult seasons in life. And even in the easier, more jubilant seasons, there are dark days.

Depression is simply this: a loss of identity. Someone who is depressed does not know or does not believe who they are or - more importantly - Whose they are.

If you are a Christian, then you believe what the Bible says. You can't pick and choose what you believe about the Bible. God says some wonderful things about YOU. The statements below are true of you.

I am accepted
John 1:12 - I am God’s child.
John 15:15 - As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1 - I have been justified.
1 Corinthians 6:17 - I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
1 Corinthians 12:27 - I am a member of Christ’s body.
Ephesians 1:3-8 - I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 - I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 - I am complete in Christ.
Hebrews 4:14-16 - I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

I am secure
Romans 8:1-2 - I am free from condemnation.
Romans 8:28 - I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 - I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 - I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 - I am hidden with Christ in God.
Philippians 1:6 - I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
Philippians 3:20 - I am a citizen of heaven.
2 Timothy 1:7 - I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
1 John 5:18 - I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

I am significant
John 15:5 - I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
John 15:16 - I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 - I am God’s temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 - I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6 - I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10 - I am God’s workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 - I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

This is who you are. If you choose to believe this about yourself, then how could you be depressed at the same time? You can't. That doesn't mean you won't have bad days. It doesn't mean you won't cry because that boy broke your heart, that girl was so mean to you, you didn't make the team, or your effort just wasn't good enough. Those things will happen. Your heart will be broken, and you will cry. You will be sad, angry, depressed, or upset at times. But those desperate times do not define who you are, and you can't let it.

When you go back and look at the "reasons" for depression: chemical imbalance, biological differences, hormone imbalance, or inherited traits, you will see that all of those are impossible when you look at who God says you are. God created you in His image. God did not create you with a chemical or hormone imbalance. Re-read how He did create you. He didn't create you to be depressed or to believe the lies of Satan or the world. The world has searched for answers as to why people feel the way they do. None of the answers take into account who we are. Can Christians be depressed? Absolutely. But it's when we allow those feelings (and the Enemy) to overtake our hearts and minds that it becomes dangerous.

My dearest loves, always remember who you are and Whose you are. The Bible tells you these things. Believe them - not only in your mind, but also in your heart. There will you find Him. There you will find rest, and there you will find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment